We all have memories of moving into a new apartment or home – the excitement of unpacking our belongings, arranging furniture and selecting new decorations. For clients of the Coalition for the Homeless’ two Community Housing Programs, however, a new home means so much more!
These clients, who have met certain criteria and have demonstrated a commitment to living independently with a bit of help from the Coalition, experience the feelings of accomplishment, freedom and the pride that can only come with moving from homelessness to independence. Through our Scattered-Site and Housing Now programs, the Coalition provides them a reasonable amount of rental assistance, as well as case management and supportive services. At the end of their program term, they are expected to be self-sufficient members of our community.
We’re hoping that you will help them get started in their new home!
How can you lend a hand? The costs associated with a new rental home can add up quickly, particularly for those on a tight budget. Our goal is to provide each family with a Welcome Home Basket stocked with essentials like toiletries, cleaning supplies and kitchen basics. Sponsoring a Welcome Home Basket is an ideal project for religious groups, neighborhood associations, co-workers, or our philanthropic friends. With each member contributing just a small amount, a group can make a significant difference in the life of a family in transition.
Here are some suggestions of items that can be placed in the Welcome Home Baskets:
- Cleaning supplies – dish soap, laundry detergent, mop, broom, all-purpose cleaner, sponges, and buckets, etc.
- Hygiene items – shampoo & conditioner, hand soap, toilet paper, bath soap, and body wash, etc.
- Kitchen basics – microwave-safe dishes, pots & pans, trash cans, trash bags, dish rags, paper towels, ice cube trays, and can openers, etc.
- Bed & bath items – blankets, pillows, queen-size sheets, hangers, bath towels, shower curtains, curtain rings, trash cans, and laundry baskets, etc.
- Miscellaneous items – bug spray, toys, reading lamps, Walmart and Dollar Store gift cards, key rings, first aid kits, and small tool kits, etc.
If you’re interested in participating, please contact email@example.com or 407.872.5784.
You’ll really help us say, “Welcome Home!”